Hidden Orchestra are one of the hottest bands in Edinburgh at the moment. Formerly known as the Joe Acheson Quartet, this band have put their blood, sweat and tears into creating the most mind-blowing, darkest, completely mesmerizing and beautifully epic music you will ever hear. Their live performances have left audiences stunned, silenced, with their jaws hanging wide open – I know because I was there. They’ve been super hard at work creating their filthy bass-lined cinematic soundscapes for a number of years now, and much to Edinburgh’s genuine pride and joy – they recently got signed to Brighton record label, Tru Thoughts. They’re touring all over the shop at the moment promoting their brand spanking new album Night Walks but one of their drummers (that’s right, ONE of them…), Jamie Graham, told me that they put their heads together whilst on their tour bus to do this interview for us. Ladies and gentlemen, let’s meet the Hidden Orchestra…
1. DESCRIBE YOUR MUSICAL STYLE IN THREE WORDS.
Epic Breakbeat Holst.
2. YOUR BEST AND WORST GIGS?
The best and worst gigs nearly always depend on the crowd. Hidden Door Festival (Edinburgh) and Insider Festival (Inshriach, Aviemore) both stood out as really-good-vibe-gigs this year – we only really have a bad gig due to technical stuff – forgotten/faulty equipment, etc…
3. TELL US A FUNNY HIDDEN ORCHESTRA STORY.
We supported Coolio.
4. BEST AND WORST DECRIPTION OF YOUR BAND SO FAR?
Worst: Groovy electro-jazz from Edinburgh quartet.
Best: Every bit as jaw-dropping as DJ Shadow’s Endtroducing.
5. YOUR FAVOURITE TUNES & ALBUMS AT THE MOMENT?
Peter Herbolzheimer Rhythm Combination and Brass (Wait a Minute).
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (Mustt Mustt)
Ahmad Jamal (Pavanne)
Tomas Dvorak (Machinarium Soundtrack)
Origamibiro (Cracked Windows and Stopped Clocks).
6. WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE LOCAL BANDS?
7. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE BITS OF MUSICAL GEAR?
ProTools’ Beat Detective
Electro Harmonix 2880
Pearl Masters Bass Drums
8. WHAT TIPS WOULD YOU GIVE TO ANYONE WANTING TO EMULATE YOUR SOUND?
We’d love people to listen to our music – but they should concentrate on finding their own voice instead of trying to emulate anyone else.
9. WHAT’S NEXT FOR HIDDEN ORCHESTRA?
We are in the middle of a UK tour to support our album Night Walks which came out in September. Next year kicks off with a performance at Celtic Connections which will feature both Fraser Fifield and Su-a Lee (who also feature on the album) for the first time. We then have a European tour which is being booked at the moment for March and April.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE JOKE?
Dancing deliberately out of time (surprisingly difficult, by the way).
Questions by Roberta Pia.
Latest posts by Roberta Pia (see all)
- Why music should be central to the curriculum - March 9, 2015
- Yamaha APX1200 Electro-Acoustic Guitar review - September 10, 2012
- Let's Submerge: Q&A with Roberta Pia of Red Dog Music - May 9, 2012