Everybody likes something for nothing, and when putting your studio together probably cost a fair way more than nothing, it seems even more important. Fortunately, thanks to some wonderful people- from hobbyist audio junkie coders to major brands doing their marketing- there are plenty free ways of bringing extra sounds and effects into your studio with free plugins.
It can be very easy to download everything that says ‘free’ next to it, but you can not only lose hours of your life looking for something lost in your plugin folder, but you can also suffer from the creative bottleneck of having too much choice, meaning that you never commit to anything and get on with finishing something off! So, to cut through some of that, we thought we’d periodically highlight some of the best free plugins, well, some of our favourites anyway!
We’ll make an effort to stick to plugins that are available for both the Mac and the PC, as there are few things more frustrating than coming across a ‘best free plugin’ list and finding out that it doesn’t work on your platform of choice.
So, without further ado, part 1 of the best free VST plugins for Mac!
1. The Elysia Niveau filter. An excellent ’tilt’ EQ plugin from the makers of some equally excellent gear!
2. Ignite Amps’ The Anvil. A great virtual preamp for those high-gain metal guitar sounds.
3. The Audio Damage Rough Rider Compressor. Everyone needs a few compressors, and this one helps lets you use your ears by not putting the time on the attack and release controls!
4. Togu Audio Line (TAL) Noisemaker. Simply a lovely wee synth to have around: straightforward to program, yet still very flexible.
5. Voxengo Span. This spectrum analyser plugin crops up in probably every ‘best free plugins’ list, but with good reason: it’s great.
Well, that covers our first installment of the best free plugins. What about your own choices?