1. Hello! Who are you, where are you from and all that good stuff.
My name is Mark John Williamson – from Barrow in Cumbria originally. I’m the CTO of a software company by trade.
2. Tell us a bit about the music you make.
I still struggle a bit to find a label for my music. I can hear a lot of influences from music I love in it: Tangerine Dream, OMD, John Foxx, Robert Fripp, lots of world music, Jon Hassell, Eno, zoviet france, Robert Rich and a ton of other things.
I think the texture of sound is as important to me as the notes and while I listen to some fairly obscure music (it’s not unknown for my children to come into my office and ask “what’s this noise?”) I think I’m wanting to make relatively accessible music.
3. When did you start and what made you want to start making music?
I’ve made music on and off all my life – starting playing the flute and piano and playing in classical ensembles as a teenager. Making my own music came around the turn of the century. By then a combination of income and cheaper computing made it more accessible to me.
4. Stage or studio?
Currently studio – but my ambition is definitely to play out some day.
5. What gear do you use to make your tunes?
A mixture of hardware and software – I’ve got a small modular setup, a couple of waldorf synths and a growing collection of midi controllers. Software wise Diva is a current favourite as is the GForce oddity.
6. And what is your choice bit of gear and why?
My current obsession is my Roli RISE – it makes electronics so much more playable and brings a lot of expression. Either playing the modular with the FH-1 or using the brilliant Equator synth from Roli themselves. Absolutely love it right now.
7. Where can we check out your tunes?
Red Dog Music Sunday Spotlight is your chance to get your music in front of the world, and our chance to discover some great new sounds. If you want to be featured in this weekly column, you can get all the details here.
Red Dog Music is the UK’s friendliest musical instrument and pro-audio dealer. Between our 5000 square foot Edinburgh shop filled with an incredible range of products, a spectacular shop in Leeds, and a London showroom in Clapham specialising in high-end instruments, dj and pro-audio, Red Dog Music has you covered from north to south and from performance to playback.
Latest posts by Linda (see all)
- Sunday Spotlight: Transient Suns - January 21, 2018
- New from Vox: new MV50 models & MVX150 guitar amps - January 18, 2018
- New from Korg: Meet the Prologue, Volca Mix, DI Digital Piano and more! - January 18, 2018