The Roland D-05 Linear Synthesiser has been announced. On my day off. Still, the Roland D-05 is sufficiently exciting to take me away from going to get an almond croissant and the paper and sit down with a cafetiere of dark roast and my favourite mug to tell you about it.
The Roland D-05 Linear Synthesiser
The Roland D-05 brings back the legendary sounds of the D-50 and puts them in the desktop-friendly Boutique format, meaning you’re free to use it as a module, or combine it with the usual Boutique accessory subjects.
The Roland D-50 was released in 1987, and is just one of those classic synths that ended up everywhere, from film soundtracks to Enya.
But what was it that made the D-50 so interesting? The D-50 used a novel blend of short, sampled attack transient waveforms carefully mixed with digitally synthesised, sustaining sounds. This method of synthesis, which would be called Linear Arithmetic (LA) synthesis, offered the real-world sound of sampling, the flexibility and expression of a synthesiser, that could be sculpted into a professional studio sound using the onboard effects.
The Roland D-05 puts LA synthesis back into the modern player’s and producer’s toolkit.
Roland D-05 Linear Synthesiser specifications
Let’s take these straight from the datasheet:
- Perfect sonic recreation of the D-50 from the makers of the original
- Digital Circuit Behavior (DCB) faithfully captures every detail
- Authentic user interface including joystick control
- All the original presets plus fresh new sounds
- Compatible with original D-50 patches
- 64-step, polyphonic onboard sequencer and arpeggiator
- Rugged construction with metal front panel
- Highly portable for mobile music making
- Battery operated (4 x AA) or USB powered
- Built-in powered mini-speaker for instant enjoyment
- Compatible with optional Roland Boutique accessories
Doesn’t sound too bad, does it? We’re expecting the Roland D-05 to arrive with us in the second half of October, with a price of £349, so get in touch to pre-order yours today, as we imagine initial shipments won’t hang around long!
Latest posts by Fynn Callum (see all)
- The Roland D-05 Linear Synthesiser – the D-50 is back! - September 9, 2017
- [K] 909 day 2017 – drums, deals and Dave - September 8, 2017
- The Boss JB-2 Angry Driver – the JHS Angry Charlie Blues Driver! - September 8, 2017