1. Hello! Who are you, where are you from and all that good stuff.
We are The Gimme Gimme Gimmes and hail from the Livingston/Bathgate area.
2. Tell us a bit about the music you make.
We play songs made famous by Scottish artists in a punk rock style. We mash with well know punk intros and riffs making our versions pretty unique.
3. When did you start and what made you want to start making music?
- We have all played in many bands from teenage years with some of us having featured in the same bands during those years. Making music has always been something we are all passionate about. The Gimme Gimme Gimmes formed in 2014 and have crammed a lot into the last 3 years.
- We released an album titled ‘Ajockalypse Now’ of which a number of tracks have been played on several radio stations in the UK and Europe.
- We played 4 dates in New York during Tartan week April 2016.
- We played a 9 date European tour that took us to play in Holland, Germany, Ireland finishing with 2 festivals in Scotland.
- We released an EP called ‘Doun the Rabbit Hole’ that can be found on Bandcamp. 80% of the proceeds are being split between TACC (Tartan Army Childrens Charity) and Legion Scotland (proceeds going to Erskine Hospital).
- We have played many pre match gigs for the Tartan Army before Scotland international football matches, including before the match against England down at Wembley, November 2016.
- We have played many festivals including The Great Northern Mod & Ska, MoFest, T in the Port, Party in the Park, The Eyes Have It, Mikeyfest….
- We received critical acclaim for performances at the Edinburgh Fringe festival.
- We won best ‘covers’ band at the Battle of the Bands fundraiser for SAMH at the Liquid Room, Edinburgh, September 2017.
- We have done many fundraising events including Scooter Club Rally to raise funds to purchase a defibrillator, Battle of the bands for SAMH, Masquerade Ball for PSPA.
- We have opened for a few of the more renowned bands like Bad Manners, The Lurkers, The Ramonas, XSLF……
- We are returning to the studio to record our 2nd album that will be released summer of 2018, and we are already booked to play several festivals in 2018!
4. Stage or studio?
Definitely the stage. While the results from spending time in the studio are rewarding, the stage is where we have a whole lot of fun that the audience find entertaining making it enjoyable experience for us all.
5. What gear do you use to make your tunes?
- Gibson Les Paul studio (94) with ebony fingerboard, Grover machine heads and Bigsby vibrato System. EMG 81 on bridge, EMG 89 with splittable coil on neck. The EMGs offer a clear tone that cuts through the mix, and along with the ebony fingerboard has great sustain giving me an almost condensed sound; which I like when needed.
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite with Rosewood fingerboard. The sound of the 490 and 498 pickups are great, I like to split the coils for clean sounds. Our live shows are energetic and dynamic, so I really like the reduced weight.
- Ibanez Gio bass, active bass boost adds additional low end power.
Laney LV300 amplifiers (x2), has HH driver keeping tones clear and transient.
Fender Rumble 100 bass amp, lighter and louder, powerful tones, ideal for our live performance.
Drums: 5 piece mapex x series, walnut shell black panther snare drum, iron cobra 200 hi hat, dw 3000 foot pedal. I’ve chosen good strong hardware, cymbals and snare to achieve the sound I require.
6. And what is your choice bit of gear and why?
A mic stand drink holder! Easy access, can even have a sneaky drink during sections in songs when not playing, and saves having to bend down to pick up your glass, none of us are getting any younger. But most importantly, it prevents any spillage that can damage equipment on stage.
7. Where can we check out your tunes?
Red Dog Music is the UK’s friendliest musical instrument and pro-audio dealer. Between our 5000 square foot Edinburgh shop filled with an incredible range of products, a spectacular shop in Leeds, and a London showroom in Clapham specialising in high-end instruments, dj and pro-audio, Red Dog Music has you covered from north to south and from performance to playback.
Latest posts by Linda (see all)
- A year’s supply of free coffee when you buy Adam A7X studio monitors! - November 6, 2018
- Sunday Spotlight: Sans Soucis - November 5, 2018
- Novation introduce ‘Sound Collective’ a new source of free sounds for Novation users! - November 1, 2018