1. Hello! Who are you, where are you from and all that good stuff.
Hi we’re Conor and Jess and together we form the electronic duo Denton Thrift. We formed in Leeds in 2016 but started playing together when we both studied in North Texas for a year.
2. Tell us a bit about the music you make.
We both bring a wide range of influences into our music. Songwriting is a collaborative process, often evolving from an idea or a loop written before rehearsal. We both have a love for creating electronic music and the collection and incorporation of samples and environmental sounds in our tracks. Our sound tends to be sparse in instrumentation yet rich in sound and colour. We tend to use lots of layered synths coupled with environmental / sampled drum sounds.
3. When did you start and what made you want to start making music?
We’ve been independently creating acoustic and electronic music for a long time. As a duo however we began jamming in our apartment in Denton, Texas during our time studying abroad. It was a great feeling to find someone else who experiences and creates music in a similar way.
4. Stage or studio?
Initially our music is created in more of a studio setting, however as both of us have played live music a great deal in the past, it’s important that our studio sound can be transferred to live performance.
5. What gear do you use to make your tunes?
We’ve recently purchased the Scarlett 18i20 from Red Dog Music to run our instruments through for live performances.
6. And what is your choice bit of gear and why?
Our gear of choice would be the Ableton Push 2, as Conor is a non keys player it means he can play all the synth parts we need to much easier when on stage.
The Xylosynth (midi/electronic xylophone synthesiser) is also a great piece of gear for Jess as a tuned percussion player because the skills and techniques can be transferred to playing midi synth sounds – and it looks awesome on stage!
7. Where can we check out your tunes?
You can find us on all the common music platforms, including: Spotify, Youtube and Soundcloud. We’re currently in the process of creating an E.P due for release in mid/late May with Majestic Casual Records, a single from which will be releasing late April!
Latest posts by Linda (see all)
- Teenage Engineering announce OP-Z - September 18, 2018
- Sunday Spotlight: Marco Iannello - September 17, 2018
- Student deal: Get 10% cashback on Adam Audio studio monitors - September 13, 2018