1. Hello! Who are you, where are you from and all that good stuff.
Hi! I’m Andrew Smith and I make music at my home in Hartlepool.
2. Tell us a bit about the music you make.
It’s quite gentle and laid-back guitar pop. I record by myself in my room, overdubbing each instrument one at a time – a lot of my favourite music is quite lo-fi and DIY and that’s a big influence on my own music.
3. When did you start and what made you want to start making music?
I started writing songs properly for this project in January 2017, though some of them are based on little snippets I had before then. I have a little bank of song ideas, lyrics and melodies going back a couple of years that I’m slowly working my way through.
When I was 10 or 11 I bought the guitar tab book for Weezer’s first album and learning those songs made me really want to be in a band and make music.
4. Stage or studio?
Definitely the studio, if you can call my bedroom that. Recording can be really frustrating but really satisfying when everything is coming together. It’s my favourite thing in the world to do.
5. What gear do you use to make your tunes?
I always record onto Reaper through a Steinberg UR44 interface. My setup is pretty limited, just a few budget mics; a Shure SM57, Audio Technica AT2020 large diaphragm condenser and a Rode M5 small diaphragm pair. When I’m recording I rarely use more than one microphone on an instrument except for drums, which is usually just two overheads and maybe a kick mic.
I really like working within the limitations of the equipment I have and it definitely informs the way I write and record music.
6. And what is your choice bit of gear and why?
I’m not a massive gear head, but I really like using my Tascam 414. I mainly use it for demoing but it’s so much fun to tinker with. I’ve recently started plugging bass straight into it and carving out some low-end with the EQ before going into Reaper, I love how it sounds.
7. Where can we check out your tunes?
You can listen on Bandcamp here: https://andrwsmth.bandcamp.com/releases
Alternatively, if you prefer Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/andrwsmth
Latest posts by Linda (see all)
- Fender announce the Player Series guitars and basses - June 20, 2018
- Sunday Spotlight: Cupcake Diaz and the Felt Tip Pens - June 20, 2018
- Make Music Day: Free classes at Red Dog Music Edinburgh - June 15, 2018