2. Tell us a bit about the music you make.
We make our own version of pop, or at least that’s what we have set out to do. We wanted to make the most up beat and uplifting sounds that we could muster, something a bit nostalgic that encompasses our youth but also expresses where we are now as musicians and engineers. Something hopefully fun and engaging that makes you want to smile, but with a depth that will keep you coming back to listen again.
3. When did you start and what made you want to start making music?
We’ve been on each others radar’s and shared stages for years, working on separate projects. After a discussion one day it seemed like the right time to get together and work on something we both wanted to do. Having just put out an album as Asthmatic Astronaut, Gareth was keen to head in a very different direction, and after years of playing in heavy bands, Ben was keen to do the same. With this agreed we got together and started making music, just doing what we liked! This album is the result.
4. Stage or studio?
The album is a studio creation but we are in the process of preparing the live show, and hope to have it on the road by November.
5. What gear do you use to make your tunes?
We have an assortment of mics, including some nice Neumanns KM184’s, which we run into a 24 channel Soundcraft Spirit Auto console. A/D is handled by an original Mk1 Motu 896, running into ProTools 10, on a 2012 MacBook Pro. For monitoring we use Yamaha HS10’s.
Drum kit wise it’s very simple: 22×18 Mapex Saturn Kick, 14 and 16 inch Saturn toms, and a Mapex Black Panther snare. Hi-Hat, ride and crash. The cymbals are all Ufips.
6. And what is your choice bit of gear and why?
7. Where can we check out your tunes?
You can hear our latest single and check out our album at thisisnotpop.bandcamp.com. It is also be available on Spotify, Apple Music and all other online streaming services, through our label This Is Not Pop.
Latest posts by Linda (see all)
- A year’s supply of free coffee when you buy Adam A7X studio monitors! - November 6, 2018
- Sunday Spotlight: Sans Soucis - November 5, 2018
- Novation introduce ‘Sound Collective’ a new source of free sounds for Novation users! - November 1, 2018