Red Dog Music | Oct 9, 2018 | 0
The Red Dog Music manifesto
Back in 2008, when we started Red Dog Music out of the embers of a recently defunct Sound Control, we were adamant that we wanted to go about running a music shop differently to what had gone before.
Our aim as a company was always to be “the friendly music store”. Music-making is about creativity, communication and joy, and a music shop should reflect these ideals, whilst delivering the sort of sophisticated service that people expect from a modern retailer.
As we’ve grown over the years and with the opening of further branches, we’ve always stuck to our principles, but today we are enshrining them in stone (well, a blog post) so that we can demonstrate our commitment to them as a company.
So, without further ado, here are our basic principles as a company:
- We will welcome everyone to our stores: whatever age, whatever technical ability, whatever style of music or clothing or facial hair.
- At the very least, we will treat our customers like friends. Preferably they will actually become our friends.
- We will listen to what our customers are saying, whether they are asking us for our advice or giving us advice, and we will respond appropriately.
- We will treat our stores as musical hubs where like-minded musicians and producers can meet and relax without being pressured into making a purchase.
- We will be generous with and make the most of our time and energy. We will work quickly and efficiently for the benefit of our customers.
- We will smile genuinely when anyone walks through the door, because we are genuinely pleased to see them.
- We will enjoy our work because that is what we do, and what we do is a good thing, and we’re good at it.
- We will not take ourselves too seriously (even when writing manifestos). We will laugh regularly and often. We will share our humour with whoever cares to join in.
- We will not sell you something that we do not think is appropriate for your needs.
- If we’ve made a mistake, we will admit it, correct it and learn from it.
- We will do what we say we’re going to do, whether that’s calling back at the right time or offering a discount or honouring an agreement.
- We will not pretend to know something that we don’t know. If we don’t know something, we will learn.
- We will strive to be different to other music shops.
- We will strive to be different to other companies.
- We will investigate and use any new technologies that will help us better serve and communicate with our customers.
Keep the love of music at the centre of what we do
- Aside from any one song or artist or genre, the reason we do what we do will always be because we love music. We love shaping sound so that it makes our hair stand on end, so it makes us smile or cry or scream or jump up and down like lunatics.
- Though they are important in their own ways, we will never allow spreadsheets or sales targets or admin to cloud the fact that music is the point of it all.
If you have any feedback on our manifesto, or think we should add anything, please feel free to make a comment below.